Mission: Good Nutrition
Replace junk food and foods high in solid fats, added sugars, and salt with healthy, balanced meals that contain lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- You will feel full and satisfied
- You will nourish your mind and body
- The nutrients will lower your risk for obesity, diabetes, and cancer
- You will be provided with vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber that you need
- You will enjoy increased mental clarity and physical health
10 Tips for Your Health:
- Trade in your sugary beverages and drink water (8 glasses a day) instead.
- Stop snacking during TV time. Mindless eating while watching TV is not good for you.
- Do away with larger-than-life portions by asking your waiter to wrap up half your meal before he serves your food. This way you’ll cut out half the calories!
- Say bye-bye to white bread and look for labels that say “whole grain”. Make half your grains whole grains instead!
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk—you get the same amount of calcium but way less fat.
- You can get plenty of protein from low-fat dairy, beans, eggs, nuts, and fish, so make red meat a treat.
- Fresh is best—pick fruit instead. Your body will thank you.
- GREEN is a beautiful thing! Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Slow down! It takes about 20 minutes for you to feel full after eating. Listen to your body.
Which foods provide which vitamins? Take a look at the Vitamin Chart to see which foods you can select to power your health.
- Check out this guide to healthy recipes and grocery shopping
- How many fruits and vegetables does your body need?
- Learn more about being fit for pregnancy
- Calculate your BMI (body mass index) to find out your healthy weight